Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The doctor said I've got ADHD.... a teenager's perspective

If you've found out that you have ADHD, you might be relieved to know that there's a reason for some of your behaviours. And you're definitely not alone - up to 6% of school students in Australia have ADHD. Understanding ADHD means that you can learn how to manage the condition. This posting will give you some ideas on what other teenagers have found helpful when managing their ADHD in their everyday lives. Another useful source of information is the Novartis ADHD website: www.adhdsupport.com.au So what exactly is ADHD? ADHD stands for Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorder. ADHD is a medical condition, and its symptoms include having trouble paying attention and being impulsive. Younger children with ADHD are also often hyperactive. People with ADHD may have any combination of these symptoms; for example, they could be easily distracted and impulsive, but not hyperactive. What causes ADHD? ADHD is caused by differences in the brain chemicals called neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters do not work as well in people with ADHD, so having ADHD can make some things more difficult. In particular, organising your thinking, learning and behaviour is harder if you have ADHD. ADHD is a learning difficulty that is often described as a behaviour problem. ADHD does tend to run in families, so you have a greater chance of having ADHD if one of your relatives has it. For some people there is evidence that certain foods can cause ADHD-type symptoms. Are there different types of ADHD? Yes - there are three main types of ADHD. It's important to know which type you have and the symptoms that go with it. Predominantly Inattentive ADHD: With this type of ADHD your main problem is difficulty in concentrating - you tend to daydream when you should be paying attention. You may sometimes be impulsive and hyperactive but only to a small degree. Predominantly hyperactive/Impulsive ADHD: With this type of ADHD you are hyperactive, which means you have too much energy and find it difficult to sit still. You are also impulsive, which means you often act before you think about the consequences. You can sometimes be inattentive, but it's not as obvious as the other two symptoms. Combined ADHD: With combined ADHD you have all three behaviours - hyperactivity, inattention and impulsivity - to the same degree. ADHD: The good news...There are many positive things about ADHD when it's managed properly. For example, people with ADHD are often: enthusiastic, energetic, imaginative and creative; fun to be around, eager to try new experiences, perceptive, original in their ideas; outgoing, hard working, good at practical activities; lateral thinkers capable of working on several activities at once, capable of taking in a lot of information at once. ADHD: The challenges There are also some challenges when you have ADHD. The word "disorder" means that these challenges have a big impact on your life. Have a look at these examples. Tick any that describe you most of the time and cause you significant problems. Inattention: "I'm easily distracted" If the teacher is talking and some music is playing or another student walks past, I find it hard to concentrate on what the teacher is saying. I can only work in complete silence. As soon as there is a noise - such as someone talking or a motorbike roaring by - I am distracted. I lose concentration after a few minutes of working, so I start to talk to someone or look for items in my bag etc. Even if there is a lot at stake if I don't finish a task (e.g. not being allowed to go out with my friends), I can't force myself to get things done! Teachers tell me that I daydream, or don't always listen. Other students seem to write a lot more than I do in class. Unless I'm really interested in an activity, I feel tired and bored. Sport doesn't really interest me because I feel clumsy and uncoordinated. Hyperactivity: "I have a lot of energy" I have trouble sitting still, for example, at school, in the movies or at the dinner table. I'm constantly moving - fidgeting, touching objects, rushing, running, tapping my fingers and kicking my feet. I find it too hard to get to sleep because my mind is so active. People say talk a lot. I often act like the class clown. Impulsivity: "I don't look before I leap!" In the classroom, I call out comments or answers to questions without putting my hand up and waiting for the teacher to ask me. I'm impatient to have my turn and often interrupt conversations at inappropriate times. I have trouble working in groups because I want to get on with the task without planning it first. I rush my work just to get it done, rather than trying to do my best. I understand rules and laws but don't stop to think about the consequences of breaking them. I sometimes take risks. Organisation: "I don't know where to start..." I ask my teachers what to do just after they have given the instructions. I find it difficult to remember what to do first.I rarely complete my set work.I often forget to bring the right equipment to school. My room, school bag, books and/or desk are really messy. I find it hard to organise my thoughts in assignments. Memory: "I forget things people say" I lose things a lot. I find it hard to remember the right order to do things like maths. I sometimes forget appointments and other important dates. I get low marks in tests even when I have worked hard to learn the material. At times my memory goes blank. Other problems: Lots of teenagers with ADHD also have a learning disability. Even if they're really smart they may: struggle to understand complex instructions and information; find it hard to get their ideas down on paper; have had difficulty learning to read and do maths. Although ADHD and learning disabilities often occur together, they are different problems that need to be managed separately. If someone with ADHD has significant social or emotional problems, a psychologist or doctor might diagnose them as having a psychological condition such as anxiety, depression, or conduct disorder. Psychologists and doctors can help people to manage psychological conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment